|2016 Barcelona Feature Race|
The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in 2016
|Date||14 May 2016|
|Event||2016 Spanish Grand Prix|
|Location||Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain|
|Lap length||4.655 km (2.892 mi)|
|Distance||33 laps / 153.945 km (95.657 mi)|
|Pole Sitter||Pierre Gasly|
|Time||1:34.050 on lap 28|
|Norman Nato||Nicholas Latifi||Pierre Gasly|
|Winner Team||Racing Engineering|
|2015 Yas Marina Sprint Race||2016 Barcelona Sprint Race|
The 2016 Catalunya Race 1, otherwise known as the 2016 Barcelona Feature Race, was the opening race of the 2016 FIA GP2 Series, staged at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on the 14 May 2016. The race would see Pierre Gasly lose what was set to be a dominant victory late on after surviving three safety car periods.
Gasly would start the weekend with a strong performance in qualifying, sweeping to pole position ahead of Norman Nato. Indeed, Gasly was the last in a train of drivers to occupy top spot in the opening quali session of the season, with Nato, Alex Lynn and Nicholas Latifi all briefly sitting on pole.
It was advantage Gasly off the line, the Red Bull Junior racer easing ahead of compatriot Nato into the first corner. Behind, Sergey Sirotkin made a stunning start to scramble into third ahead of Lynn, with Latifi fending off Gustav Malja.
The first safety car of the day was soon called, however, with Luca Ghiotto sliding to a stop down an escape road on the opening tour. Three laps later and Gasly aced the restart to lead from Nato once again, while Lynn and Jordan King waited an extra lap before abandoning their supersoft Pirelli tyres.
The race soon settled however, with Gasly able to match the pace of those on fresh softs, while Sirotkin pressed Nato hard for second. Indeed, their intense duel seemed destined to end with one making a mistake, and duly did so on lap 23 when the Russian spun and stalled.
That stall resulted in another safety car, prompting Gasly and co. to pit for supersofts, despite the fact that there were still thirteen laps to go. Regardless, Gasly aced the restart again to lead from Nato, as Artem Markelov pushed his way though the pack to take King and Lynn.
The race duly switched to a timed affair in the closing stages, prompting a late rush of moves as the final minutes ticked away. Nato was one of those to pounce on his rivals, blasting past Gasly to claim the lead and leave his compatriot to slip behind Latifi.
With that the race was run, for a late safety car was called as Raffaele Marciello was spun around by Antonio Giovinazzi on lap 34. The chequered flag was then thrown a lap early, although that did not affect the order on the podium, meaning Nato claimed his maiden GP2 victory from Latifi and Gasly.
The new 2016 GP2 Series season would start with the series' annual trip to the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, which was unchanged from 2015. There were, in contrast, a large number of changes to the entry list, with new teams, new drivers as well as a host of old faces entered for the new campaign.
The full entry list for the 2016 Barcelona Feature Race is displayed below:
The final qualifying result for the 2016 Barcelona Feature Race are outlined below:
|2016 Barcelona Feature Race Qualifying Result|
|1st||21||Pierre Gasly||Prema Racing||1:27.807||—||1|
|2nd||3||Norman Nato||Racing Engineering||1:28.271||+0.464s||2|
|5th||2||Sergey Sirotkin||ART Grand Prix||1:28.655||+0.848s||5|
|7th||22||Oliver Rowland||MP Motorsport||1:28.807||+1.000s||7|
|8th*||1||Nobuharu Matsushita||ART Grand Prix||1:29.128||+1.321s||11|
|9th||10||Artem Markelov||Russian Time||1:29.129||+1.322s||8|
|11th||20||Antonio Giovinazzi||Prema Racing||1:29.163||+1.356s||10|
|12th||9||Raffaele Marciello||Russian Time||1:29.274||+1.467s||12|
|13th||4||Jordan King||Racing Engineering||1:29.322||+1.515s||13|
|17th||23||Daniël de Jong||MP Motorsport||1:29.464||+1.657s||17|
|18th||7||Mitch Evans||Pertamina Campos Racing||1:29.478||+1.671s||18|
|19th||25||Jimmy Eriksson||Arden International||1:29.942||+2.135s||19|
|20th||24||Nabil Jeffri||Arden International||1:30.254||+2.447s||20|
|21st†||8||Sean Gelael||Pertamina Campos Racing||1:30.304||+2.497s||PL|
|22nd||14||Philo Paz Armand||Trident||1:30.609||+2.802s||21|
|107% Time: 1:33.953|
- * Matsushita was handed a three place grid penalty for impeding Gelael.
- † Gelael was forced to start from the pitlane for failing to serve a three place grid penalty for impeding Matsushita.
|Daniël de Jong||18|
|Philo Paz Armand||22|
- * Gelael was forced to start from the pitlane for failing to serve a three place grid penalty for impeding Matsushita.
The final classification of the 2016 Barcelona Feature Race is displayed below:
|2016 Barcelona Feature Race Race Result|
|Pos.||No.||Name||Team||Laps||Race Time||Fastest lap||Pts.|
|1st||3||Norman Nato||Racing Engineering||33||0:58:51.044||1:34.050||27|
|3rd||21||Pierre Gasly||Prema Racing||33||+4.248s||1:34.159||19|
|4th||10||Artem Markelov||Russian Time||33||+5.145s||1:34.532||12|
|7th||4||Jordan King||Racing Engineering||33||+8.678s||1:34.941||6|
|8th||9||Raffaele Marciello||Russian Time||33||+11.544s||1:35.306||4|
|10th||22||Oliver Rowland||MP Motorsport||33||+17.513s||1:35.086||1|
|11th||1||Nobuharu Matsushita||ART Grand Prix||33||+18.526s||1:35.603|
|12th||7||Mitch Evans||Pertamina Campos Racing||33||+21.773s||1:35.107|
|14th||23||Daniël de Jong||MP Motorsport||33||+23.787s||1:35.981|
|16th||25||Jimmy Eriksson||Arden International||33||+24.348s||1:35.956|
|17th||8||Sean Gelael||Pertamina Campos Racing||33||+27.522s||1:36.148|
|18th*||20||Antonio Giovinazzi||Prema Racing||33||+32.156s||1:34.822|
|19th||24||Nabil Jeffri||Arden International||32||+1 Lap||1:36.706|
|Ret||14||Philo Paz Armand||Trident||28||Mechanical||1:36.046|
|Ret||2||Sergey Sirotkin||ART Grand Prix||23||Spin||1:34.800|
- Bold indicates a driver started from pole.
- Italics indicate that a driver set fastest lap.
- * Giovinazzi was handed a twenty second time penalty for causing a collision.
- Prema Racing made their debut in the GP2 Series.
- Debut race for Philo Paz Armand, Jimmy Eriksson, Luca Ghiotto, Antonio Giovinazzi, Nabil Jeffri and Marvin Kirchhöfer.
- Maiden GP2 victory for Norman Nato.
- Racing Engineering secured their 24th triumph as an entrant in GP2.
- Nicholas Latifi scored his maiden podium finish.
With the first of twenty-two races down it was Norman Nato who led the way in the Championship, eight ahead of pole winning Pierre Gasly. Nicholas Latifi was next, a point behind Gasly, with Artem Markelov and Sergio Canamasas completing the top five. The other early scorers were Alex Lynn, Jordan King, Raffaele Marciello, Gustav Malja and Oliver Rowland.
In the Teams' Championship it was Racing Engineering after Nato's maiden triumph, aided by the points from King for finishing seventh. DAMS were next ahead of Prema Racing, with Russian Time, Carlin, Rapax and MP Motorsport also on the board after the opening bout.
Only point scoring drivers and teams are shown.
Images and Videos:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'GP2 confirms 11-race calendar for 2016', f1destinations.com, (F1 Destinations, 04/03/2016), https://f1destinations.com/gp2-series-2016-calendar/, (Accessed 10/10/2018)
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 Archived, 'NATO BLASTS TO MAIDEN WIN', gp2series.com, (GP2 Series, 14/05/2016), https://web.archive.org/web/20160711113042/http://www.gp2series.com:80/News-Room/News/2016/May/Nato-blasts-to-maiden-win-, (Accessed 10/10/2018) - Original
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Archived, 'GASLY GRABS POLE IN BARCELONA', gp2series.com, (GP2 Series, 13/05/2016), https://web.archive.org/web/20160617222922/http://www.gp2series.com:80/News-Room/News/2016/May/Gasly-grabs-pole-in-Barcelona/, (Accessed 10/10/2018), - Original
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Archived, 'GP2 Series 2016 Results: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya', fiaformula2.com, (GP2 Series, 2016), https://web.archive.org/web/20160520043032/http://www.gp2series.com/Results/?raceid=961&seasonid=173, (Accessed 01/10/2018) - Original
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Archived, 'PENALTIES FOR MATSUSHITA AND GELAEL', gp2series.com, (GP2 Series, 13/05/2016), https://web.archive.org/web/20160617225621/http://www.gp2series.com:80/News-Room/News/2016/May/Penalties-for-Matsushita-and-Gelael-/, (Accessed 10/10/2018) Original
- ↑ Archived, 'GIOVINAZZI PENALISED FOR LATE RACE INCIDENT', gp2series.com, (GP2 Series, 14/05/2016), https://web.archive.org/web/20160617224605/http://www.gp2series.com:80/News-Room/News/2016/May/Giovinazzi-penalised-for-late-race-incident-/, (Accessed 10/10/2018) - Original