|2018 Hungaroring Feature Race|
The Hungaroring with added DRS.
|Date||28 July 2018|
|Event||2018 Hungarian Grand Prix|
|Location||Hungaroring Mogyoród, Hungary|
|Lap length||4.381 km (2.722 mi)|
|Distance||34 laps / 162.097 km (100.722 mi)|
|Pole Sitter||Sérgio Sette Câmara|
|Driver||Nyck de Vries|
|Time||1:32.832 on lap 33|
|Nyck de Vries||Lando Norris||Antonio Fuoco|
|Winner Team||Pertamina Prema|
|2018 Silverstone Sprint Race||2018 Hungaroring Sprint Race|
The 2018 Hungaroring Feature Race, otherwise known as the 2018 Budapest Race 1, is set to be the fifteenth race of the 2018 FIA Formula Two Championship, staged at the Hungaroring, Hungary, on the 28 July 2018. The race would be the first in two meetings to feature a standing start, with Mecachrome having updated all twenty engines after issues throughout the season with the clutch.
The Hungaroring near Budapest, Hungary, would play host to the fifteenth and sixteenth races of the 2018 F2 season, with the circuit unchanged, as ever, from the layout established in 2003. As such, Pirelli were expected to bring the same tyres that they had in 2017, with the medium and soft compounds set to be punished around the 4.381 kilometre layout. Indeed, the only real changes came in the form of driver changes and car updates, both of which were enforced by the FIA and F2.
The most universal of these aspects would be an update for the twenty Dallara F2 2018s used throughout the field, with engine suppliers Mecachrome unveiling an update for their engines and clutches. These updates were designed to increase the amount of torque at the clutch bite point, which had caused enough stalls at the start of previous races for the FIA to decided to start all four races at the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone to start behind the safety car. The update would also attempt to cure a throttle system issue which had caused several drivers to suddenly lose power when at full throttle.
With so many changes coming, and not all solutions thoroughly examined, the FIA granted permission for all ten F2 teams to complete 100 km of testing prior to the race at the Hungaroring. To do so Mecachrome would supply ten engines to the organisers of F2, whom would then draw lots to allocated whom got which engine. The teams were then allowed to conduct their tests privately, with a focus on starting procedures, with all data subsequently sent to Mecachrome and the FIA. The series' development car would also be in action testing at Magny Cours and Circuit Paul Ricard with various updates including the Mecachrome engine.
Elsewhere, Santino Ferrucci had managed to get himself banned from F2 for the immediate future after crashing into his teammate Arjun Maini deliberately after the conclusion of the Sprint Race at Silverstone. Indeed, the pair had battled throughout the weekend on circuit, with Ferrucci ultimately losing his temper when Maini kept ahead of him to the line in the second Silverstone race. As such the American racer decided to simply drive into his teammate, before bragging about doing so deliberately on social media.
It therefore came as no surprise that the FIA and F2 summoned Ferrucci to the stewards, a formality which the American racer opted not to attend. Regardless, Ferrucci was immediately banned for four races, with an additional €60,000 fine and a disqualification from the results of the Silverstone Sprint. It got even worse for Ferrucci soon after, with a spat on Twitter earning him the ire of employers Trident, who seemed to be on the verge of sacking the Haas backed racer after insulting his teammate Maini.
Ultimately, Ferrucci would be dropped by Trident, whom duly promoted GP3 Series racer Alessio Lorandi to fill the American's vacated seat for the rest of the 2018 campaign. Lorandi, an Italian born 19 year old, had enjoyed minor success with Trident in GP3, having scored his first podium a few weeks earlier. Ferrucci, meanwhile, would miraculously retain his ties with Haas, and gain a seat in the IndyCar series despite his rather bizarre actions in Silverstone.
In terms of the Championship, George Russell had extended his lead atop the standings in the second race of the Silverstone weekend, the Brit arriving in Hungary with a 37 point lead over Lando Norris. Those two were on their own once again in the fight for the title, with Alexander Albon having lost ground in third, just ahead of Artem Markelov. That quartet were still the only four drivers in the field that had score more than 100 points, while Roy Nissany was still the only driver yet to score.
There had been a major change atop the Teams' Championship after the second Silverstone race, with Carlin finally pushed off the top of the Championship having led since the start of the season. Indeed, ART Grand Prix had been the team to finally topple the Brits, with the French squad leaving the UK level on points with the British effort, but with more wins to their name. Behind, Charouz Racing System had slipped to sixty points off the lead, with DAMS and Russian Time also falling away.
The full entry list for the 2018 Hungaroring Feature Race is displayed below:
The final qualifying result for the 2018 Hungaroring Feature Race are outlined below:
|2018 Hungaroring Feature Race Qualifying Result|
|1st||18||Sérgio Sette Câmara||Carlin||1:27.400||—||1|
|2nd||7||Jack Aitken||ART Grand Prix||1:27.430||+0.030s||2|
|3rd||4||Nyck de Vries||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||1:27.631||+0.231s||3|
|4th||8||George Russell||ART Grand Prix||1:27.762||+0.362s||4|
|5th||14||Luca Ghiotto||Campos Vexatec Racing||1:27.828||+0.428s||5|
|7th||1||Artem Markelov||Russian Time||1:27.957||+0.557s||7|
|9th||10||Ralph Boschung||MP Motorsport||1:27.973||+0.573s||9|
|10th||20||Louis Delétraz||Charouz Racing System||1:28.032||+0.632s||10|
|11th||12||Nirei Fukuzumi||BWT Arden||1:28.038||+0.638s||11|
|12th||21||Antonio Fuoco||Charouz Racing System||1:28.073||+0.673s||12|
|15th||11||Maximilian Günther||BWT Arden||1:28.169||+0.769s||15|
|16th||15||Roy Nissany||Campos Vexatec Racing||1:28.348||+0.948s||16|
|18th||3||Sean Gelael||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||1:28.648||+1.248s||18|
|19th||9||Roberto Merhi||MP Motorsport||1:28.724||+1.324s||19|
|20th||2||Tadasuke Makino||Russian Time||1:28.750||+1.350s||20|
|Sérgio Sette Câmara||2|
|Nyck de Vries||4|
The final classification of the 2018 Hungaroring Feature Race is displayed below:
|2018 Hungaroring Feature Race Race Result|
|Pos.||No.||Name||Team||Laps||Race Time||Fastest lap||Pts.|
|1st||4||Nyck de Vries||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||34||1:00:16.996||1:32.832||27|
|3rd||21||Antonio Fuoco||Charouz Racing System||34||+20.752s||1:33.466||15|
|4th||7||Jack Aitken||ART Grand Prix||34||+21.805s||1:33.672||12|
|6th||14||Luca Ghiotto||Campos Vexatec Racing||34||+28.696s||1:33.268||8|
|7th*||18||Sérgio Sette Câmara||Carlin||34||+29.099s||1:33.290||10|
|8th||1||Artem Markelov||Russian Time||34||+35.594s||1:34.600||4|
|9th||2||Tadasuke Makino||Russian Time||34||+36.304s||1:34.329||2|
|10th||12||Nirei Fukuzumi||BWT Arden||34||+37.114s||1:35.232||1|
|11th||9||Roberto Merhi||MP Motorsport||34||+37.983s||1:35.314|
|13th||3||Sean Gelael||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||34||+39.120s||1:33.617|
|15th||15||Roy Nissany||Campos Vexatec Racing||34||+48.072s||1:32.615|
|16th||11||Maximilian Günther||BWT Arden||34||+53.241s||1:33.894|
|17th||20||Louis Delétraz||Charouz Racing System||34||+1:13.696||1:32.972|
|18th†||10||Ralph Boschung||MP Motorsport||33||+1 Lap||1:32.473|
|Ret||8||George Russell||ART Grand Prix||11||Clutch||1:52.576|
- Bold indicates a driver started from pole.
- Italics indicate that a driver set fastest lap.
- * Câmara was given a ten second time penalty for causing an avoidable collision.
- † Boschung set the fastest lap of the race, but was unable to claim the fastest lap points as he finished outside of the top ten.
- Debut race for Alessio Lorandi.
- Third victory for Nyck de Vries.
- Prema secured their tenth victory as an entrant in Formula Two.
- Also the Italian team's nineteenth triumph at GP2/F2 level.
- Antonio Fuoco claim his tenth podium finish.
A non-score for George Russell proved to have the most influence on the Championship table, for it allowed Lando Norris to move within nineteen points of his compatriot at the head of the field. Elsewhere, race winner Nyck de Vries had moved into the top five, level on points with Antonio Fuoco, while Alexander Albon and Artem Markelov had inched closer to the title fight in third and fourth. Otherwise there was very little movement in the table, with the only other swap coming between Luca Ghiotto and Louis Delétraz.
In the Teams' Championship, meanwhile, it was advantage Carlin once again, the British squad pulling sixteen points clear of second placed ART Grand Prix. Indeed, the poor start to the weekend for the French squad had proved costly, although they were still within striking distance with one race to go before the summer break. Behind, Charouz Racing System had lost ground in third, while Prema had moved ahead of Russian Time to claim fifth.
Only point scoring drivers and teams are shown.
Images and Videos:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'FIA Formula 2 Championship 2018 Season Calendar Unveiled', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 06/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/FIA-Formula-2-Championship-2018-season-calendar-unveiled/, (Accessed 13/06/2018)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Jack Benyon, 'F2 teams set to test engine and clutch fixes', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 09/07/2018), https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/engine-clutch-fixes-testing-michel-1058035/, (Accessed 11/07/2018)
- ↑ Placeholder>
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 'FERRUCCI HANDED MULTIPLE PENALTIES', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 08/07/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/07_July/Ferrucci-handed-multiple-penalties/, (Accessed 11/07/2018)
- ↑ Trident Team, 'Trident intends to show their solidarity and support', twitter.com, (Twitter: Trident Team, 08/07/2018), https://twitter.com/trident_team/status/1016022176280010754, (Accessed 09/07/2018)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 'TRIDENT TERMINATE FERRUCCI CONTRACT', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 18/07/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/07_July/Trident-terminate-Ferrucci-contract/, (Accessed 27/08/2018)
- ↑ 'ALESSIO LORANDI STEPS UP TO F2 WITH TRIDENT', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 24/07/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/07_July/Alessio-Lorandi-steps-up-to-F2-with-Trident/, (Accessed 27/08/2018)
- ↑ 'Teams and Drivers', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 2018), http://www.webcitation.org/6ySMzYNSv, (Accessed 14/06/2018)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 'Formula 2 2018 Results: Hungaroring', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/Results/?raceid=990&seasonid=175, (Accessed 27/08/2018)