|2018 Silverstone Feature Race|
The Silverstone circuit with added DRS.
|Date||7 July 2018|
|Event||2018 British Grand Prix|
Silverstone, Northamptonshire, UK
|Lap length||5.891 km (3.660 mi)|
|Distance||29 laps / 170.839 km (106.154 mi)|
|Pole Sitter||George Russell|
|Team||ART Grand Prix|
|Team||ART Grand Prix|
|Time||1:44.448 on lap 28|
|Alexander Albon||George Russell||Antonio Fuoco|
|2018 Red Bull Ring Sprint Race||2018 Silverstone Sprint Race|
Qualifying would see George Russell claim his third straight pole position start for ART Grand Prix, an early run from the Brit edging out quali-specialist Alexander Albon. Behind them came the two Charouz Racing System entries of Antonio Fuoco and Louis Delétraz, while ex-Championship leader Lando Norris would start alongside teammate Sérgio Sette Câmara in sixth.
Russell duly led the field away at the start of the race behind the safety car, blasting clear of Albon into turn one with the rest of the field charging in behind them. Elsewhere, Artem Markelov moved up the order with an excellent lunge through Becketts on Arjun Maini, only for the Indian racer to retake seventh at the start of the second lap.
Russell drove hard in the early stages to try and escape out of DRS range of Albon, and duly pulled out a 1.5 second lead as DRS became active. Behind, the two Charouz were fighting hard for third, while Lando Norris, Russell's main Championship rival, began to slip down the order with a lack of pace.
It was an early pit-window for those whom started on the soft Pirelli tyres, with the majority of the field slithering into the pits at the end of lap six. It was here that Russell lost out, a slow stop for the Brit allowing Albon to sweep into the lead as the duo shot out of their pitboxes. Russell was later struck by a five second time penalty for speeding in the pits, while Norris lost time after stalling during his stop.
Albon would therefore assume control of the race once those whom started on the hard Pirelli tyres made their stops. His progress was aided by a series of VSCs to remove Nirei Fukuzumi and Sean Gelael from the track, the latter having smacked into Norris at Brooklands while fighting for tenth.
Indeed, bar a late engine fire for Câmara the race was run, with Albon cruising home to claim his second victory of the season. Russell set fastest lap on the penultimate lap to secure second, while Fuoco claimed third ahead of late charge from teammate Delétraz.
The Formula Two campaign of 2018 headed to the UK for its thirteenth race of the season, with the familiar sights of the Silverstone circuit on the boarder of Northamptonshire greeting the field. Indeed, there was little change at Silverstone ahead of the F2 and Formula One visit, although a late modification to the circuit would see a third DRS zone added at the end of the lap. This zone extended from the middle of the start/finish straight until the entry to turn three, meaning drivers had the option of leaving their DRS open through turns one and two at the expense of less rear downforce.
Into the Championship and yet another strong performance from George Russell last time out had seen the Brit finally oust Lando Norris from top spot in the Championship, the Brit having left Austria with a ten point advantage over his compatriot. Behind, and still twenty-eight points away, would be sprint race winner Artem Markelov, with Alexander Albon having to make way for the Russian racer as Markelov moved into the top three. Next up were Sérgio Sette Câmara and Antonio Fuoco, while Nyck de Vries lost ground in seventh.
Carlin had managed to retain their lead in the Teams Championship during the double header in Austria, although ART Grand Prix had managed to chip away at their advantage. Indeed, the pair were split by 27 points heading to the former's home round in Silverstone, with those two set to duel for the title for the rest of the season. Behind sat Charouz Racing System, falling adrift in third, with DAMS, Russian Time and Pertamina Prema all within striking distance of the Czech squad.
The full entry list for the 2018 Silverstone Feature Race is displayed below:
The final qualifying result for the 2018 Silverstone Feature Race are outlined below:
|2018 Silverstone Feature Race Qualifying Result|
|1st||8||George Russell||ART Grand Prix||1:39.989||—||1|
|3rd||21||Antonio Fuoco||Charouz Racing System||1:40.094||+0.105s||3|
|4th||20||Louis Delétraz||Charouz Racing System||1:40.190||+0.201s||4|
|5th||18||Sérgio Sette Câmara||Carlin||1:40.234||+0.245s||5|
|8th||1||Artem Markelov||Russian Time||1:40.590||+0.601s||8|
|9th||14||Luca Ghiotto||Campos Vexatec Racing||1:40.707||+0.718s||9|
|10th||11||Maximilian Günther||BWT Arden||1:40.786||+0.797s||10|
|11th||4||Nyck de Vries||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||1:40.847||+0.858s||11|
|12th||7||Jack Aitken||ART Grand Prix||1:40.863||+0.874s||12|
|13th||9||Roberto Merhi||MP Motorsport||1:40.994||+1.005s||13|
|14th||10||Ralph Boschung||MP Motorsport||1:41.031||+1.042s||14|
|15th*||3||Sean Gelael||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||1:41.052||+1.063s||18|
|18th||2||Tadasuke Makino||Russian Time||1:41.493||+1.504s||17|
|19th||12||Nirei Fukuzumi||BWT Arden||1:42.081||+2.092s||19|
|NC†||15||Roy Nissany||Campos Vexatec Racing||2:13.133||+33.144s||20|
- * Gelael was handed a three place grid penalty after causing an avoidable collision in Austria.
- † Nissany failed to set a time within 107% of the pole time, but was allowed to start at the stewards discretion.
|Sérgio Sette Câmara||6|
|Nyck de Vries||12|
The final classification of the 2018 Silverstone Feature Race is displayed below:
|2018 Silverstone Feature Race Race Result|
|Pos.||No.||Name||Team||Laps||Race Time||Fastest lap||Pts.|
|2nd*||8||George Russell||ART Grand Prix||29||+9.783s||1:44.448||24|
|3rd||21||Antonio Fuoco||Charouz Racing System||29||+18.507s||1:44.710||15|
|4th||20||Louis Delétraz||Charouz Racing System||29||+26.689s||1:45.753||12|
|5th||14||Luca Ghiotto||Campos Vexatec Racing||29||+27.016s||1:45.320||10|
|6th||1||Artem Markelov||Russian Time||29||+27.107s||1:45.801||8|
|7th||4||Nyck de Vries||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||29||+28.034s||1:45.333||6|
|8th||11||Maximilian Günther||BWT Arden||29||+34.020s||1:45.606||4|
|9th||10||Ralph Boschung||MP Motorsport||29||+37.227s||1:44.561||2|
|11th||9||Roberto Merhi||MP Motorsport||29||+39.971s||1:45.290|
|12th||2||Tadasuke Makino||Russian Time||29||+40.131s||1:45.130|
|13th*||7||Jack Aitken||ART Grand Prix||29||+42.930s||1:45.706|
|15th||15||Roy Nissany||Campos Vexatec Racing||29||+58.064s||1:45.653|
|Ret||18||Sérgio Sette Câmara||Carlin||23||Retired||1:45.368|
|Ret||3||Sean Gelael||Pertamina Prema Theodore Racing||20||Retired||1:46.032|
|Ret||12||Nirei Fukuzumi||BWT Arden||13||Retired||1:46.201|
- Bold indicates a driver started from pole.
- Italics indicate that a driver set fastest lap.
- * Russell and Aitken awarded five second time penalties for speeding in the pitlane.
- Third pole position for George Russell.
- Alexander Albon claimed his second victory in Formula Two.
- DAMS earned their fifth victory as an entrant in F2.
- Also the French squad's 30th triumph at GP2/F2 level.
In spite of missing out on a victory in front of his home fans, Championship leader George Russell managed to extend his lead in the Championship, moving 23 points clear of Lando Norris at the top of the field. The latter had endured a miserable day at Silverstone, and was now under threat from race winner Alexander Albon. Indeed, the Thai racer had leapt back ahead of Artem Markelov to move into the top three, with those four all in triple figures for the season.
Carlin had seen their lead in the Teams Championship slashed apart by ART Grand Prix during the first race of the weekend, the French squad heading into the Sprint Race just four points behind the British effort. Behind, Charouz Racing System had pulled marginally closer, as had DAMS thanks to Albon's victory. Russian Time were next ahead of Pertamina Prema while, at the back of the field, BWT Arden had moved ahead of Trident.
Only point scoring drivers and teams are shown.
Images and Videos:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'FIA Formula 2 Championship 2018 Season Calendar Unveiled', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 06/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/FIA-Formula-2-Championship-2018-season-calendar-unveiled/, (Accessed 13/06/2018)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Jonathan Noble, 'F1 drivers face new Turn 1 DRS challenge at British GP', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 02/07/2018), https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-drivers-face-new-turn-1-drs-challenge-at-british-gp-1054716/?s=1, (Accessed 06/07/2018)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 'RUSSELL STREAKS TO THIRD CONSECUTIVE POLE AT SILVERSTONE', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 06/07/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/07_July/Russell-streaks-to-third-consecutive-pole-at-Silverstone/, (Accessed 07/07/2018)
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 'ALBON SWEEPS TO SILVERSTONE FEATURE RACE VICTORY', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 07/07/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/07_July/Albon-sweeps-to-Silverstone-Feature-Race-victory/, (Accessed 07/07/2018)
- ↑ 'Teams and Drivers', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 2018), http://www.webcitation.org/6ySMzYNSv, (Accessed 14/06/2018)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 'Formula 2 2018 Results: Silverstone Circuit', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/Results/?raceid=989&seasonid=175, (Accessed 07/07/2018)
- ↑ '2018 ROUND 6 SPRINT RACE PENALTIES', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 01/07/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/07_July/2018-Round-6-Sprint-Race-Penalties/, (Accessed 01/07/2018)